Thursday, October 18, 2012

Marcel khalife-Passport-جواز سفر - jawaz el safar

 Probably one of the best lyrical retakes of the the 1948 Palestinian refugee exodus yet it's still applicable to anyone who feels detached from a literal or figurative home. Marcel tells of how deep his connection is to the land and yet how he is denied the sense of belonging because of his passport. He ends the song with a declaration that his nationality is now dependent on the kindness of others and that his passport is meaningless.

Analysis:
Palestinians are a people with no country. Most of them don't have a real passport, they have a "travel document" that attaches them to a whichever country has given them temporary residency status. Very few are actually allowed to travel into the self governing parts of Palestine. Having no place to legally call home in this world is one of the few things that I've seen that are worst then poverty.

This song illustrates how for many Palestinians their passports no longer reflect who they are. Despite how rooted in the land the song describes the refugee he is still removed from it by the passport. He appeals to his superiors "gentlemen" but ends the song with no resolution, just like refugee situation remains today.
***
They did not recognize me in the shadows

That suck away my color in this Passport

And to them my wound was an exhibit

For a tourist Who loves to collect photographs
They did not recognize me,

Ah . . . Don't leave

The palm of my hand without the sun

Because the trees recognize me

All the songs of the rain recognize me
 * Repeating previous line*

Don't leave me pale like the moon!
*****
All the birds that followed my palm

To the door of the distant airport
* Repeating previous line

All the wheatfields

All the prisons

All the white tombstones

All the barbed boundaries

All the waving handkerchiefs

All the eyes
* Repeating previous line*

were with me,

But they... dropped them from my passport!!
*****
Stripped of my name and identity?

On a soil I nourished with my own hands?
*Repeating previous line*

Today Job cried out

Filling the sky:

Don't make an example of me again!

Oh, gentlemen, Prophets,

Don't ask the trees for their names

Don't ask the valleys who their mother is

From my forehead bursts the sword of light

And from my hand springs the water of the river
*Repeating previous lines*

All the hearts of the people are my identity

So take away my passport!